Old August 7th 13, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Art Harris[_2_]

Default Any recourse when negligently hit by another bike?

Anatol Zolotusky wrote:

The story: this morning on my way to work I was slowly riding my bicycle out of my driveway in Palo Alto, CA, into the street, watching for incoming traffic from the left of the street. When crossing the sidewalk, I've been blindsided from my right by another cyclist.

The other cyclist may have been at fault for riding on the sidewalk. But I think you were also at fault for not looking. What if a pedestrian or jogger had been on the sidewalk? You probably would have hit them.

In general, you do have recourse if another cyclist hits you due to negligence. I was once hit by a cyclist riding on the wrong side of the road. After I threatened legal action, his insurance company paid for my bike repairs..

Art Harris