Old July 16th 04, 04:41 PM
Michael MacClancy

Default Calorie Estimates....

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 15:19:56 +0000 (UTC), LaoFuZhi wrote:

Two factors which will affect calorie expenditu power output (in watts)
and efficiency.

That's the bit I don't get... I thought the calorie expenditure would be
linked to the amount of work done.... i.e. move a certain weight over a
certain distance in a given time.....

But when you getter fitter you get more efficient, meaning you need less
energy to perform this task.

Another point is that weight isn't much of a factor when cycling on the
(relative) flat. Which is why many people don't bother about saving every
last ounce in weight on their bikes. Weight is only an issue when climbing
(i.e. when doing work against gravity).

The energy you consume cycling mostly goes into overcoming air resistance
(by far the largest part) and rolling resistance.
--
Michael MacClancy
Random putdown - "He is not only dull himself, he is the cause of dullness