Old November 8th 04, 02:47 AM
Bill Baka

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 20:14:50 -0500, Matt O'Toole wrote:

Bill Baka wrote:

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 12:20:30 -0800, Zoot Katz
wrote:

Sun, 07 Nov 2004 11:21:58 -0800, ,
Bill Baka wrote:

The police around here mainly patrol the populated areas, and this
is not,
yet. There is a 1,000 house development being built and it may take
someones' kid getting hurt for the police to start patroling.
Sometimes reality sucks.
Bill Baka

If it had been built for people instead of their cars, a community of
1000 people could pretty much police itself.

Very true. Real estate is crazy aound here, and these houses are
being sold before they are even finished. I wouldn't buy one just
because I have seen how they are built, el cheapo. No bike paths
either, but it is all 25MPH zone. Last year it was just a nice open
field to ride across.
My short cut has been paved over and clogged with houses. I think the
police
will start patroling shortly and follow the money, err, um, higher
income types.

The problem is not the prices, etc., or where the police choose to
patrol. It's
that we build houses too far from everything else, so most people feel
the need
to get in their cars to do anything. Communities can and should be
built so
children can walk to school and other activities, so that adults can
walk to
stores, etc. While completely eliminating commuting to work by car may
not be
practical, eliminating a major portion of the 80% of car trips that are
less
than 3 miles certainly is.

Matt O.

You are most likely correct in that there is a park and a school 'planned'
but not yet built, and a farmer down the road is convienetly offering a
parcel for a shopping mall or whatever, which probably will get done
as soon as a few more people move into the area. Even when I go to do
some shopping now it is about 4 miles to get to a semblance of a town.
If the school in planning does get built it will be in the middle of
the new houses, so with eventual 1,000+? houses built there will probably
be plenty of kids riding bikes. I just wish they had at least planned
bike lanes at a minimum since all these houses are family sized, 1,500 Sq.
feet
or more, and that most likely means a few kids per house. I guess I can
just ride through it all.
Bill Baka