Old October 1st 19, 02:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Firenze Italian road bike on Craigslist, LOL

On 10/1/2019 6:25 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/1/2019 7:00 AM, sms wrote:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/concord-firenze-gl5000-italian-vintage/6990187709.html

These bicycles were given away by an electronics store back
in the 1980's if you bought a TV or stereo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ke1tc4pWGA.

I know that guy (the creator of 'Buy a TV, Get a Bike!'). He says the
lines at my bike shop in April gave him the idea.

LOL. Did you have a special of "Buy a Bike, get a TV?"

The story of the free bikes, which appears to be true, is that an
importer had a load of them and they didn't meet U.S. standards so they
could not be sold, but they could be given away.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage-bicycles-whats-worth-appraisals/73680-what-firenze-gl5000-15-speed-bike-worth.html

In 1992, the store owner, Steven Matthew David, stated “Over the years,
we’ve moved 150,000 bikes. Three percent of the people in the Bay Area
are riding around on bikes they bought from us.” Indeed, these bikes
were seen everywhere around the Bay Area back in the day.

The store owner, Steven Matthew David, later got in trouble for
reselling Apple computers that he got from the Archdiocese of San
Francisco
http://www.sfweekly.com/news/yesterdays-crimes-the-tv-huckster-who-defrauded-apple/.