Old October 12th 19, 11:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default Beginner question

On 12/10/2019 00:46, Joy Beeson wrote:

It's been half a century since I needed the information, so I'm not
sure. Is a nineteen-inch bicycle frame nineteen inches from the
center of the bottom bracket to the center of the seat cluster?
"Center" defined as the middle of the top tube.

I believe this to be the case on older flat top tubes, but these days
the stack and reach seem to be a better flavour.

I measured my Fuji at 20.5 inches, and the guy I stole it from said
"twenty-one inches" sounded familiar.

To the top of the top tube seems more logical, since it's the
stand-over height one is interested in -- a fat-tube aluminum bike
would measure undersized if measured to the middle.

https://www.cyclingabout.com/underst...rame-geometry/

When I was thirty and forty and sixty I didn't mind that he's an inch
taller than me, but now that I'm seventy-nine, I've fallen over while
mounting twice, and think it's time to put the word out that I'm in
the market for an elderly bike that is compatible with my elderly
components.

But I have to say what size I want.