Old August 21st 05, 11:50 AM
Rayc

Default Zvino Bicycle Rim - New Inventors

Terry Collins wrote:
Zoom wrote:

Is it really an improvement or just a gimmick?

Having watched the prog, it is just another gimmick to me.

Con: expensive = restricted market. "I can buy a bicycle for that"

Its not aimed at the lower end

Con: aluminium = buckles easily

are you for real? look at any bike that not Kmart, target or from a
toyshop, Aluminium can at least be straighened, unlike steel ( when its
bent, thats it) lets not even talk about the better braking surface.

Con: weight. It looks as if it would be great for low spoke wheels for
racing, but he showed an mtb rim which is more metal. It makes more
sense to me to aim at the racing wheel market.

you obviously have no current knowledge of the bike industry

Con?: tubeless = poor sealing(?) for mtb.

sealing for what, if you are in the ice age as far as the best rim
material, surely you're not refering to tubeless tyres

Con: all wheels have to be hand built.

again, these rims are not aimed at the bottom end of the market but as
replacement rims, or upgrades for bikes that are worthy of being
repaired. ( rim rebuilds cost approx $60+ (rim), $32/36 (spokes) and
hopefully reuse/rebuild hub + labour)

Pro: coloured bits in the rim which is easier than painting.

painting a rim? you are kidding , no?

Pro: low spoke count wheels, if you can get the hub. thinking of a past
conversation where a bicycle only has to last long enough to pass the
finish line.

low spoke counts last more than just the finishing line. Imaging
paying $1700 for a set of wheels that only last 50km!

Pro: high spoke count wheels, if you can get the hubs to match.

high spoke count? higher than what? they rims are designed to have as
many or as little spoke holes are the industry supplies in its hubs.

You obviously have no idea what this rims is designed for. the benefit
for the bike industry. The shops only have to carry or order one style
of rim, and not have to worry about how many spoke holes there are. as
long as you have the right style of rim, road or mtb, you can build the
wheel as needed to suit the hubs provided by customers repair or as
purchased in the building of new wheels