Old August 22nd 05, 01:16 AM
Terry Collins

Default Zvino Bicycle Rim - New Inventors

Rayc wrote:

the usually load of scummy crap because it is easier to **** on other
people than present their own 2c.

Con: aluminium = buckles easily

are you for real? look at any bike that not Kmart, target or from a
toyshop, Aluminium can at least be straighened, unlike steel ( when its
bent, thats it) lets not even talk about the better braking surface.

Okay, explain to me how I do that to remove buckles in my aluminium rims
and I will believe that you have a practical clue.

My experience is that with steel, buckles can generally be pulled out by
tightening a few spokes, but with aluminium it can buckle over a shorter
distance (between, 1,2 spokes) so you can not pull the buckle out.

I do a type of All Terrain Riding, never road or track, so that might
explain my type of buckles. I prefer steel there. I'll only use
aluminium on commuter over a good surface route. YMMV.

Con: weight. It looks as if it would be great for low spoke wheels for
racing, but he showed an mtb rim which is more metal. It makes more
sense to me to aim at the racing wheel market.

you obviously have no current knowledge of the bike industry

I was in Kmart the other day. I think that means I something about the
bigger part of the bicycle industry.

Con: all wheels have to be hand built.

again, these rims are not aimed at the bottom end of the market but as
replacement rims, or upgrades for bikes that are worthy of being
repaired. ( rim rebuilds cost approx $60+ (rim),

this rim costs only $60$?

Pro: coloured bits in the rim which is easier than painting.

painting a rim? you are kidding , no?

you obviously don't deal with a certain part of the bicycle industry.

Pro: low spoke count wheels, if you can get the hub. thinking of a past
conversation where a bicycle only has to last long enough to pass the
finish line.

low spoke counts last more than just the finishing line. Imaging
paying $1700 for a set of wheels that only last 50km!

Pro: high spoke count wheels, if you can get the hubs to match.

high spoke count? higher than what? they rims are designed to have as
many or as little spoke holes are the industry supplies in its hubs.

You obviously have no idea what this rims is designed for.

I'm only going on the presentation made on the New Inventors program.
Personally I think it is just another fad that will produce another
piece of unmaintainable crap. If it is still around in 20 years, then
I'll change my mind.

the benefit for the bike industry.

don't you mean a segment of the bike industry?

The "bike industry" is definitely not uniform.

The shops only have to carry or order one style of rim,

Hmm, the "bike industry" now believes one style fits all?

and not have to worry about how many spoke holes there are.

agreed. Inventory and machinery reduction for custom bulders is one benefit.

as long as you have the right style of rim, road or mtb,

he only presented a mtb rim.
Perhaps I missed the mention of these other two.

you can build the
wheel as needed to suit the hubs provided by customers repair or as
purchased in the building of new wheels

So, you total argument is that a few custom wheel builders can reduce
their inventory. Yawn.

If nothing else, that should tell you something about the state/mindset
of part of australian bicycle industry.