Old February 27th 21, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Blowout on rear tire

On 2/27/2021 7:58 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 10:30:02 p.m. UTC-5, AK wrote:
Today while riding, my rear brakes locked up.

While investigating, the rear tire blew up causing part of the rim on one side to split off.

The tech at the shop said the brakes had worn through the rim.

Seems hard to believe that hard rubber can wear thru aluminum.

Is that common ?

I had a rear wheel that went quite a bit out of true during a ride. Because of that I rode quite slowly down a steep hill into a town we were going to. I rode home taking it easy. Once home I examined the wheels and discovered a long split in the sidewall of that rear wheel. When I deflated the tube to take it and the the tire off the rim basically came apart. I was quite fortunate it didn't happen on the road.

I wonder if tubular rims suffer the same problem as much?

Good question. Seems tubular rims shouldn't have the lateral loads
imposed by the tire beads. If a tubular rim wore through, I expect the
results would be much less dramatic.

Anyone here seen that happen?

--
- Frank Krygowski