Old January 17th 20, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Bicycles, pedestrians, and cars detected by microwave dopplerradar.

On 1/17/2020 8:10 AM, David Scheidt wrote:

snip

My car, and lots of newer cars, have blindspot sensors that detect
something in the 'blindspot' beside and slightly behind the car. They
light up signals on the mirrors. If I turn the turn signal on, they
flash (and there's a beeper, if I try to change lanes, too). Both the
lighting up and flashing are visible to someone out side the car. I
see them come on other cars, when I ride past them when they're
stopped and I'm not.

In the past few weeks I've met with two large cloud service providers
regarding "smart city" deployment of IOT. One big application for "smart
city" is the use of various types of sensors for traffic of all kinds,
trucks, cars, bicycles, and pedestrians. The privacy issue is one of the
biggest hurdles. Radar is less intrusive than cameras but cameras have
advantages. They will be used together.

Inductive loops are not going to be around for many more years.