Old January 17th 20, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Bicycles, pedestrians, and cars detected by microwave doppler radar.

On Friday, January 17, 2020 at 9:04:26 PM UTC, Ted Heise wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 12:15:14 -0800,
sms wrote:
On 1/17/2020 8:10 AM, David Scheidt wrote:

snip

My car, and lots of newer cars, have blindspot sensors that
detect something in the 'blindspot' beside and slightly behind
the car. They light up signals on the mirrors. If I turn the
turn signal on, they flash (and there's a beeper, if I try to
change lanes, too). Both the lighting up and flashing are
visible to someone out side the car. I see them come on other
cars, when I ride past them when they're stopped and I'm not.

In the past few weeks I've met with two large cloud service
providers regarding "smart city" deployment of IOT. One big
application for "smart city" is the use of various types of
sensors for traffic of all kinds, trucks, cars, bicycles, and
pedestrians. The privacy issue is one of the biggest hurdles.
Radar is less intrusive than cameras but cameras have
advantages. They will be used together.

Inductive loops are not going to be around for many more years.

The camera usage is amazing. My car shows current speed limit on
the Car Play screen when I have Google mapping in use. It is
occasionally wrong; I'm pretty confident it comes over the phone
from some Google database.

On the other hand, my wife's Volvo shows the current speed limit
on the dashboard. It is always correct; I'm pretty certain the
value comes from a forward facing camera reading the speed limit
signs as they are encountered.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA

That's in any event a huge leap forward from when all Volvo had (before any other cars) was a whiny nanny-voice telling you to belt up.

Andre Jute
Nostalgic for the days when all a car was required to do was to track true and go fast, and American cars couldn't even track true but were great anyway