Old January 17th 20, 10:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

Default Bicycles, pedestrians, and cars detected by microwave dopplerradar.

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 16:35:38 -0500,
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/17/2020 4:04 PM, Ted Heise wrote:
My car shows current speed limit on the Car Play screen when I
have Google mapping in use. It is occasionally wrong; I'm
pretty confident it comes over the phone from some Google
database.

On the other hand, my wife's Volvo shows the current speed
limit on the dashboard. It is always correct; I'm pretty
certain the value comes from a forward facing camera reading
the speed limit signs as they are encountered.

Can you tell us the year and model of your car, and the year of
your wife's Volvo?

My five year old car has none of that, but it's a pretty
low-end model. It didn't even come with an in-car entertainment
screen.

Fair question. I thought about putting that in, but decided to go
for the quicker post. The Volvo is a 2015 S60 (so 5 years old),
and mine is a 2019 GMC Acadia. I think the ~2012 Equinox I had
before also came with CarPlay capability, but the newer GMC plays
much better with the iPhone.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA