Old January 11th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Seriously; where should a bikie retire?

I was just about to suggest Central Texas as well. I grew up in
Colorado, and raced there for years. I live in Austin now, and they
cycling here is great. No long climbs, but there are plenty of steep
ones. There's even the annual Tour das Hugel, which climbs 9,000 feet
in 100 miles, and much of the climbing is over a 10% grade - with some
spots up to 26%.

http://www.statesman.com/life/conten...14fitcity.html

Anyway, in Central Texas, there are only maybe 5 days a year you can't
ride due to ice or crazy bad rain. Most of the natives feel otherwise,
but if you come from a place that actually has seasons, you can ride
year-round here.

It's warm in the summer, but you can beat that by just getting out in
it. I ride from 1pm-2pm just about every weekday all year long, and the
heat never plays into my decision to ride -- and I grew up as a
mild-weather Colorado boy.

Oh, you might also consider Hawaii... we were in Maui this year, and I
would ride all over that place. Bad traffic in spots, but that doesn't
really bother me.

-Mike

Guiseppe Corvo wrote:
Jim wrote:
Wrong forum I know, but the other rec.bicycles forums are now inhabited by
trolls...
Anyone here know a USA destination with well-paved mountain roads, thin
traffic & pleasant weather? I'm looking to buy a vacation/retirement home
fit for a bikie.
No pricey ski resorts needed, just good road riding.
Best,
Jim

Not mountainous, but nice and hilly....central Texas hill country does
offer some very fine cycling fare....Fredricksburg, Kerrville and lots
of smaller towns. Good luck in your search.