Old January 11th 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Seriously; where should a bikie retire?

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 17:00:21 -0800, "Jim"
wrote:

Wrong forum I know, but the other rec.bicycles forums are now inhabited by
trolls...
Anyone here know a USA destination with well-paved mountain roads, thin
traffic & pleasant weather? I'm looking to buy a vacation/retirement home
fit for a bikie.
No pricey ski resorts needed, just good road riding.

Someone else already suggested central Texas, and that's an area with
pretty much whatever kind of mix you want, as long as the small-town
attitudes aren't a problem. If you like it dry, hot in the summer,
and artsy, then Marfa, TX might be a good choice. Much of northern
California might also fit the bill if you like it damper and cooler,
and Prescott in Arizona is pretty, on a mountain, and has fairly
decent weather though it gets cold in the winter. Not much flat
around it, though; unless you really like climbing, there are probably
better choices. Flagstaff has terrain and atmosphere, and the Grand
Canyon is just a looooong climb uphill through varying types of forest
and scrub. Santa Fe, NM is another potentially good choice IMO. A
lot depends on what kind of weather you consider pleasant. I like
what I've got here in Houston, but my SO considers the summers to be
unmitigated hell. (I grew up where they were worse, and longer.)

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.