Old July 18th 04, 08:14 PM
Edward Dolan

Default "stabilizing" a stratus?

"Mark Leuck" wrote in message
newsswKc.87610$WX.49747@attbi_s51...
[...]
Wal-Mart may sell bikes with perfect trail but I doubt many will last 100
miles or more, again which specific brand and model bike are you

complaining
about? I should think this would be a simple question to answer. I own 2

and
have ridden maybe 10 and have yet to find a complaint with how they steer,
comfort yes but never steer

I am ****ed off before I even start because you have not put a period at the
end of your sentence above. Is this your idea of how to alienate people and
make enemies?

I have several clunker upright bikes that are even worse than what Wal-Mart
is now selling and they will last a life time if not abused and a certain
amount of minimum maintenance is performed at regular intervals. The main
problem with almost all bikes that the kids get regardless of original
quality is that they abuse them and do not take care of them.

As to my recumbents, I would say that the Vision set up SWB has too much
twitchiness (not enough trail). Even set up LWB with OSS it is still too
twitchy. I have two other SWB's and the Kowal also has too much
twitchiness. The Turner SWB is just the opposite. It seems to have too much
trail. I have given up on SWB altogether.

My RANS V2 has too much tiller to suit me as does the RANS Tailwind. My
Tailwind (a very early version) is also too twitchy. At slow speeds too much
tiller and too much twitchyness is a pain in the you know what. My Infinity
is also too twitchy. The Tour Easy has got it right. If the trail and the
tiller are not right, the bike will not handle as well as it should. All
uprights solved these questions over a hundred years ago. It is not possible
to get a bad upright with respect to these very elementary design factors.

This is not to say that all recumbents are nor rideable even if trail and
tiller are not perfect. I can ride them all and have ridden very many of
them (except for the latest high racers and low racers). All recumbents
should be designed with optimum trail and optimum tiller for the vast
majority of cyclists just like uprights are. Then they would all handle
pretty much the same regardless of their individual configurations (frame
designs). Or so it seems to me.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

--