Old July 22nd 03, 10:21 PM
Jbenkert111

Default Could Lance break the "athlete's hour" record?

Impossible, as in all sports records and best of "all time" nominations,
comparisons cannot be made with any degree of accuracy. Different era,
different caliber riders. For instance, Merckx, won all those races against
riders that were also doing all those races and were probably just as tired as
he, and also, the talent pool is much larger and stronger these days. You can
argue, who was most dominant in their era, which is still meaningless. The
only thing we can say for sure, is that they are the best of their time.

What do you think? I think he should go for it to prove that he is the
greatest rider of all time. It would be like going one-on-one with Eddy
Merckx... (I know that Boardman holds the record (49.441 km), but that is
just 10 meters more than Merckx). If Lance could do 50+ then the issue of
who´s the greatest rider would be settled once and for all.