Old May 1st 04, 04:12 PM
Jeff Potter

Default Pic of Lemond winning 1989 World's...what's up with the wheel in their faces?

(Evan Evans) wrote in message . com...
I just watched the 89 worlds again. That wheel we see in the photo was
added digitaly or something & did not exist in the real world.

Maybe it was someone's idea of cool design? Who knows. I was thinking
it came from a slightly different angle, but it does look simply added
to the image. Weird.

The
Lemond years were some of the greatest in cycling! The comptition was
there between Hinault , Lemond & Fignon etc. The Bikes were cool with
Campy c-record as king. Cool sponcers with LVC & Team Z. The english
invasion.

Yeah, lots of cool things happened then, but I'm also just refering to
the specific action itself. I recall there was one classic in the 80's
where a guy eased up slightly at the finish thinking he had it in the
bag and looked over the wrong shoulder and got nipped: a total
goof-up. The Criq World's protest seemed pretty big. Lemond's last
stage win over Fignon. And his rainy descent win at the 89 Worlds are
just amazing. Gotta include Kelly's uber-insane Milano-San-Remo
descent to win that classic in that list of shockingly great finish
action (it was pretty close to the end).

I don't recall as much nutty stuff happening these days. Sure, there's
fighting and hooking but it doesn't seem to happen in the biggest
events between the biggest stars. Well, if it does it would be neat to
see it listed. Sure, we have Lance's "look" but how does that compare
to the Greg-Bernie showdowns?

--JP