Old November 16th 17, 10:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Opinions of Gates Carbon Drive system?

On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 3:01:26 PM UTC+1, wrote:
I searched dutifully, but couldn't find a thread on this. (I believe Andre might have a bike with Carbon Drive; not sure.) Has this been discussed here?

I would be very interested to hear how the Carbon Drive system's friction losses compare to those of a chain, and how it holds up in heavy use by a serious rider.

Thanks!

When I bought my Rohloff equipped MTB I could chose for a Gates belt option.. I concluded that this doesn't solve any problem (for me). The only advantage I see is that you don't have to lube the drive train which for most people, like Andre could be solved by a simple chainguard. For a belt you need a special frame, chainwheel and sprocket. Chains for gear hubs are dirt cheap, chainwheels readily available in all sizes everywhere and lubing is 2 minutes job.

Lou