Old November 24th 17, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default AG: running stop signs.

On 11/24/2017 12:32 AM, John B. wrote:

Back when I was in the Air Force the Safety Manual had it that the
vast majority of accidents were caused by unsafe acts and I believe
that the current theory hasn't changed.

On the other hand it seems that the Safety Managers have given up
trying to keep the fools from sticking their finger in the power saw
and now are relying more and more on building things so that you can't
stick you finger in the hole.

When I was fresh out of school and just started working as a plant
engineer, one of my first duties was to supervise the installation of a
certain machine. It had two steel pinch rollers at the very top that
pulled in a six foot wide web of material for processing.

When the installation was done, the plant safety committee came around
to inspect. They looked at those pinch rollers (about 8 feet up above
ground level) and called over the tallest workman they could find. They
asked him to stand on tiptoe on a nearby step and see if he could reach
the rollers.

He strained and strained to reach up over the top of the machine, then
said "Yeah, I can just barely touch one of them." Immediately the head
of the safety team said "We need a trip cord across there, so if someone
tries that, it will immediately shut the machine down."

--
- Frank Krygowski