Old August 3rd 10, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Norman

Default freehub body cone removing tool - sources?

On Aug 2, 4:03*pm, "Mark J." wrote:
Keiron wrote:
Can anyone direct me to an outlet/operator that might sell this tool?
Preferably UK based.

Home made equivalents anyone?

I'm not sure what you're describing.

If you mean a tool to disassemble a Shimano freehub body to access the
smaller bearings and pawls (not to merely remove the body intact),
here's Sheldon on the issue:http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#aluminum
(scroll down just a tad). *He says the tool is discontinued.

See also the photo athttp://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#transplant.
I'm assuming you want a tool to mate to what Sheldon labels as "Notch
for disassembling."

I made my own out of a piece of flat steel bar stock. *Cut to length so
it's long enough to reach the notches on both sides. *Then file the
bar's thickness to fit into the notches. *Then mount newly created tool
in a vise, fit wheel to tool, and turn (left-hand thread IIRC, so the
cup unscrews rather than the freehub).

ps - Sheldon's right, it's not worth the trouble beyond curiosity. *Once
the body is damaged enough to need repair, it's usually damaged /beyond/
repair and body replacement is called for.

Needlenose pliers can usually be used to span the
notches, & the bearing preload shouldn't be terrific
so the torque required shouldn't be so high as to
bend your pliers.

You can hack a couple of short (5 or 6mm) sexions
off of a 4mm allen key and stick them where the pawls
were meant to be to turn it into a fixed gear hub with
a bit much backlash.

You can fill it with a soft Molybdenum grease for that
silent hub effect (bi-directional freewheeling in the
Winter provided at no additional cost!).

You can spend the next 4 or 5 hours chasing tiny
ball bearings around the garage.

The possibilities are limited only by your imagination.