Old December 14th 19, 06:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default 3ttt new crank process

On Fri, 6 Dec 2019 15:50:26 -0800 (PST), jbeattie
wrote:

ISIS sucks. I went through ISIS BBs like Kleenex. I was happy when
the crank broke, and I was rid of it.

Yeah, they have a reputation for failure due to the small bearing size
necessitated by the large axle. And ISTR problems with some cranks
bottoming out before acieving an interference fit. Mine is a Truvativ
crank and I think the BB is a Truvativ as well. I don't recall if it is
a first or second generation ISIS and I don't even know if they're still
in business. But it's been in service for some 15 years, seeing only
about 400 miles a year, so that might account for it- I maybe just
haven't put enough miles on it to show up the weaknesses.

I like the low Q factor the crank provides compared to Shimano or modern
Campy, which are more like birthing chairs. Jan Heine sells a high end
ISIS BB made by SKS, never have seen one. If the BB craps out, I might
even replace it with one of those.

I know a few people who really like disc brakes. I've only tried them a
couple of times and that was a few years back, so I imagine they're
better now. They were grabby and noisy when I tried them. I don't do a
lot of inclement, muddy or gravel riding so I just haven't experienced
those benefits. I live in Minnesota and the terrain is pretty flat, so
rim heating while braking on descents is a non-issue. The ability to
swap tires willy-nilly could be handy, though. I've got a couple bikes
where the brakes don't open quite wide enough to get an inflated wide
tire in and out easily; discs would solve that.