Old December 14th 19, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default 3ttt new crank process

On Friday, December 13, 2019 at 9:05:47 PM UTC-8, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Fri, 6 Dec 2019 15:50:26 -0800 (PST), jbeattie
wrote:

ISIS sucks. I went through ISIS BBs like Kleenex. I was happy when
the crank broke, and I was rid of it.

Yeah, they have a reputation for failure due to the small bearing size
necessitated by the large axle. And ISTR problems with some cranks
bottoming out before acieving an interference fit. Mine is a Truvativ
crank and I think the BB is a Truvativ as well. I don't recall if it is
a first or second generation ISIS and I don't even know if they're still
in business. But it's been in service for some 15 years, seeing only
about 400 miles a year, so that might account for it- I maybe just
haven't put enough miles on it to show up the weaknesses.

I like the low Q factor the crank provides compared to Shimano or modern
Campy, which are more like birthing chairs. Jan Heine sells a high end
ISIS BB made by SKS, never have seen one. If the BB craps out, I might
even replace it with one of those.

I know a few people who really like disc brakes. I've only tried them a
couple of times and that was a few years back, so I imagine they're
better now. They were grabby and noisy when I tried them. I don't do a
lot of inclement, muddy or gravel riding so I just haven't experienced
those benefits. I live in Minnesota and the terrain is pretty flat, so
rim heating while braking on descents is a non-issue. The ability to
swap tires willy-nilly could be handy, though. I've got a couple bikes
where the brakes don't open quite wide enough to get an inflated wide
tire in and out easily; discs would solve that.

I have a set of discs on my Synapse that make noise, but the discs on my commuter and gravel bike don't. It may be the organic OE pads on the Synapse as opposed to the metal pads on the other two bikes. The funny thing is that I was riding in the rain a few weeks ago with two friends, one on cable discs and one on cantis (a Kona CX bike), and everyone was making noise. It sounded like a cat slaughter when we all came to a stop.

I rode in the rain or wet every day this week. I'll ride in wet today. Discs are nice in these conditions, but successful stopping is more often related to traction. The Synapse is my fast rain bike and has 28mm 4Seasons which have pretty good grip. I have Gatorskins on my commuter, and they seem less grippy, which is the price you pay for more durability. I'd rather stay upright and have faster wearing tires and will throw on something softer and fatter in a while and just cope with flats, if I get them.

-- Jay Beattie.