Old November 4th 04, 08:43 AM
PK

wrote in message
PK what? writes:

I'm reminded of that joke every time the subject of clipping into
clipless pedals crops up!

I don't know what crowd you mix with but around here we step into the
pedals and engage the cleat.

You've got to admit, it is daft terminology! The only pedals with
clips are clipless while clipped pedals have straps and no
clips...

I think you've got your terms confused. Toe clips support the strap
and prevent the pedal from rolling forward when pedaling standing.
You would have noticed that when a clip breaks as they often did and
your foot rolls off the front of the pedal still strapped in... clip
dangling and tinkling on the pavement as it hangs from the strap.

Today, plastic clips last a bit longer but are still a pain.

Jobst Brandt

I know all that Jobst, but the terminology only makes sense if you know the
history. Show someone who has seen neither a clipless pedal and one with
cage and straps and ask which is clipless! When a newbie arrives on here
and says "Which foot should i put in the clip first?" - someone always asks
if they are talking about toe straps (clipped) or pedals the shoe clips into
(clipless).

I was just remarking that it is very much like tring to explain cricket to
someone who has never seen the game.

EG
From an online advice site: The shoe cleats required for clipless pedals
are basically shaped pieces of metal [Snip].......Basically, the best way
to begin is to clip one foot (the foot you normally begin with) into its
pedal....

pk