Old May 8th 07, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dewi

Default Highway Code debacle - CTC

On 8 May, 17:25, David Damerell
wrote:
The latest CTC newsnet, which I have not seen quoted here, says;

---
A revised draft of the Highway Code has not properly addressed the
concerns of 11,000 cyclists who last year joined our campaign to have
the Code re-worded. The original draft told cyclists to 'use cycle
facilities...where provided'. Following our campaigning efforts, the
revised wording, issued on 28th March, reads: 'Use cycle routes and
cycle facilities...wherever possible, as they can make your journey
safer.' The new wording does not address our original concern that
insurance companies will use the wording of the new Code as an excuse to
reduce the amount of compensation they pay if a motorist hits a cyclist
that has chosen to use a road rather than a nearby cycle facility. We
very much hope that the Government will see sense and amend the wording
to say "use cycle facilities where they help with your journey" - thus
leaving the decision at the cyclist's discretion. If it does not, we
will seek to persuade the Lords to vote it out, or may ultimately
initiate a Judicial Review against it.

We would like to hear about incidents where a cyclist has been injured
while using a cycle facility, or has suffered verbal or physical abuse,
or hassle from the police, as a result of using the road rather than a
nearby cycle facility. Please email
---

It is not clear to me why it has taken quite so long to obtain these
jewels of wisdom...
--
OPTIONS=name:Kirsty,menustyle:C,female,lit_corrido r,standout,time,showexp,h*ilit
e_pet,catname:Akane,dogname:Ryoga,fruitkonomiyak i,pickup_types:"!$?=/,sco*res:

Do cyclist have to read the HC (Highway code), are they tested on it?