Old September 28th 16, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Cantilever Vs V-brakes.

On 2016-09-27, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 4:04:32 PM UTC-4, Benderthe.evilrobot
wrote:
Snipped
The seat post would get in the way of a centre mounted pull cable - it
just
can't be done.

Maybe I could fit a cable mount to the front headset, but I don't see
much
incentive to do so.

Thousands if not millions of bicycles have been sold with centre mounted
pull cables on the rear cantilerver brake. You just have a hanger or a
bridge that centers the cable above the crossover/straddle wire.

Would have to drill a hole through the seat post to accommodate the cable..

Again, you don't have to drill a hole through the seatpost in order to route a cantilever brake cable. The cable housing goes to one side of the seatpost and ends at the cable bridge/stop and the inner cable continues from that to the straddle cable yoke or to the transverse cable mount bolt.

Cheers