Old September 29th 16, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

Default Cantilever Vs V-brakes.

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 20:12:50 +0100, "Benderthe.evilrobot"
wrote:

On 2016-09-27, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 4:04:32 PM UTC-4, Benderthe.evilrobot
wrote:
Snipped
The seat post would get in the way of a centre mounted pull cable - it
just
can't be done.

Maybe I could fit a cable mount to the front headset, but I don't see
much
incentive to do so.

Thousands if not millions of bicycles have been sold with centre mounted
pull cables on the rear cantilerver brake. You just have a hanger or a
bridge that centers the cable above the crossover/straddle wire. Ditto
for the front brake.

For example, Jan Heine just had a fancy rear one made:
https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...-cable-hanger/

Also:
https://paulcomp.com/shop/components...-cable-hanger/
http://surlybikes.com/parts/small_parts/cable_hanger
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_174820_-1___

It was not a technical question. OP just doesn't think cantilevers are
aesthetically pleasing so no amount of technical reference will help.

Its mostly about the lever arms sticking out the sides just looking for
something to catch on.

They're also more PITA to unhook when you want to take the wheel out.

Sort of like you knees there just ahead of the rear canti levers?
Strange I can't remember anyone worrying about their knees catching on
something.

Of course when one just doesn't like something one can find all sorts
of ways to rationalize their irrational suppositions.
--
cheers,

John B.