Old September 29th 16, 08:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

Default Rear brake hanger (was Cantilever Vs V-brakes.)

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 19:58:19 -0400, Frank Krygowski

On 2016-09-28, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/27/2016 9:47 PM, Gregory Sutter wrote:

For example, Jan Heine just had a fancy rear one made:
https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...-cable-hanger/

It was not a technical question. OP just doesn't think
cantilevers are aesthetically pleasing so no amount of
technical reference will help.

I used the question as an excuse to post Jan's new part to see if
anyone had comments about it. It's pretty, but I'm a little dubious
that cutting back the brake cable housing would offer superior
function to a ferrule. I've become a JH believer in many ways,
though, so perhaps.

Also WTH, the newsfroup could use more tech content anyway. Whee.

Hmm. I suspect the free play or motion with a ferrule or (as with this
part) without a ferrule might differ by about 0.002" - an amount too
small to detect from the brake lever.

On one bike with centerpull brakes, I've got a cable hanger that works
similarly in that it hangs from the binder bolt; but mine includes a
quick release. I find that to be handy. Looking at Andrew's site, you
can buy one for less than the Compass part.

I guess it doesn't have the cachet of the Compass part. But you can
probably buy spray-on cachet somewhere.

I make them up from a length of stainless welding rod and a commercial
cable stop. I've also used flat stainless stock in place of the rod.
Say 4 inches of welding rod or a piece of scrap of stainless sheet and
a cable stop ($0.27 at Nova), and perhaps 1/4" of silver soldering
wire. Cost? Maybe couple of dollars. Makes that Compass part look sort
of high priced :-)
--
cheers,

John B.