Old May 24th 19, 09:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Bottle holder

On Thu, 23 May 2019 11:10:50 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 5/23/2019 1:16 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 21 May 2019 21:21:12 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

I'm puzzled by the comment that one could cut oneself on the metal
strap. I've been scratched by various bike parts, but the hose clamps
have never even thought about it.

That would be me. What I did was cut off the loose end of the metal
strap flush with the hole clamp body. The down tube paint was
protected by a strip of hard rubber. Over a few months, the clamp and
rubber strip decided to move. So I tightened the screw on the clamp,
which then exposed the end of the metal strap from the clamp body. I
had previously rounded the sharp corners, but did not deburr the cut
end. The result was a rather messy, but fortunately not very deep,
slice in my leg when I performed an unscheduled and graceless
dismount. I cut the metal strap shorter to avoid a repeat
performance, but did nothing with the exposed hex screw head, which
produced a minor gouge in the same place on my leg about a year later.

Sorry to jump context, but both of those boo-boos would have been
registered in the Portland study of bike commuters, Hoffman et. al.,
"Bicycle Commuter Injury Prevention," Journal of Trauma, V. 69 No. 5

They took great pains to record _every_ injury, no matter how tiny, and
used the results to say we need bike lanes everywhere.

IOW: Scratched by your hose clamp? Oh, if only there were a bike lane!!!

Back to the topic: I'm a big fan of deburring sharp edges. It takes only
a few seconds with a fine grinding wheel or a hand file.

Back in the day, we were taught to deburr everything we did and most
machinists kept a flat, single cut, file and a triangular scrapper in
the top of his box and before you took the piece out of the machine
you hit every shoulder with the file and the edges of every hole with
the scrapper.
--
cheers,

John B.