Old July 15th 18, 07:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default 29er "pedals easier"

On 7/15/2018 12:00 PM, wrote:
I have a friend who just bought a new 29"-wheel Motobecane MTB and swears that, due to the larger-diameter wheels, it "pedals easier" than his old 26"-wheel MTB did.

Have you ever heard anyone say this before? I have.

Since the contention does not seem correct to me, I was just curious about how you gentlemen would respond to it?

Depends on the speeds and surface anomalies involved. For a
smooth board track a smaller wheel may well be more efficient:
http://www.tomsarazac.com/tom/opinions/wheelsize.html

But in typical riding conditions, a big fat 700x54 rolls
over depressions, rocks, debris, zombie bodies etc much
better than, say, a skateboard wheel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdwROHgPask

--
Andrew Muzi