Old July 17th 18, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default 29er "pedals easier"

On 7/16/2018 2:17 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
sms wrote:

My MTB is still the same 26" rim brake
wheels that its had since new in 2000. If it
can't roll over the bumps and rocks and ruts
and slop I want to roll over, then its the
rider, and not the tire diameter that's
the problem.

While a 29er does not "pedal easier" a larger
wheel clears ruts, rocks, etc., easier.
It also adds more ground clearance.
That's why there was a move to larger wheels
on mountain bikes.

How big is a "29er"?

I think bikes in general should have bigger
wheels. Why not drop the 622 standard (700C)
and go back to 630? Only it can/should be wider
than the 32 of the 27x1-1/4 old road
bike standard.

Or even to 635 but with modern rims, of course.

I'm pretty sure you can buy adult bicycles with wheel+tire diameters all
the way from 17" to 29".

Oops. Make that 36". https://dirtysixer.com/

Take your choice!

--