Old August 21st 18, 11:24 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Incubus

Default 'Death by dangerous cycling' law considered

On 2018-08-18, TMS320 wrote:

You keep flopping between traffic lights and footpaths and snipped my
assessment of pedestrian behaviour amongst motor and cycle traffic ON
THE ROAD. Please be warned. Next time I shall insult you.

Oh, the pain! I don't think you know how to insult me.

From where I'm sitting, he doesn't really need to.

He needs to do something to give a good account of himself. The same might be
said of you likewise.

Yes, responsibility shifts somewhat on a footpath but you are clearly
expecting something from a cyclist that you would never expect from a
driver.

That is a falsehood. I don't expect drivers to ignore red lights or to
drive along the pavement either.

You obviously do.

Where on Earth have I implied that? Please refrain from making things up.

It is not illegal to carry a dagger.

It certainly is in a public place. What an utterly foolish reply.

It is only 'illegal' if done without good reason or lawful authority (s. 1
Prevention of Crime Act 1953).

Do you think his pointless reply serves any other purpose than an attempt to change the subject?

There are already lots of laws and regulations covering conduct that
cyclists are supposed to abide by.

And do you suppose that they do?

Overwhelmingly so.

And is it your considered opinion that they cover cases of 'death by dangerous
cycling'? It seems to me that if that were the case, it would not have been
necessary to revert to a law that was created when the bicycle was not even in
widespread use!