Old October 17th 04, 08:30 AM
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:

When I was in college I was taught by world famous professors and I was
also taught by graduate assistants. The graduate assistants were all
worthless as teachers whereas some few of the world famous professors
weren't half bad. That is the difference, you nut case!...

And some world famous professors are excellent researchers but awful
teachers, and some teaching assistants do a very good job.

MOST world famous professors were not good as teachers at all. The trouble
with graduate assistants is that they were earnest enough, but there was
never any entertainment or inspiration from them.

Good teachers are like good entertainers and artists. They not only need to
impart information and styles of how to think, but they need to entertain
and inspire their students too. In all my years of going to college and
graduate school, I can truthfully say I only had a handful of really good
teachers.

A good teacher is worth his weight in gold and it has absolutely nothing to
do with research. I have often thought that faculties could be split and you
would completely separate the researchers from the teachers. In graduate
school you would bring it all back together as students there are mostly
leaning how to perform research.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota