Old August 14th 03, 12:48 AM
Steve

Default What do you guys think of Brooks saddles? Are they goofy or what?

"Stan Shankman" wrote in message
i.com...
Would anyone seriously consider using a Brooks saddle when building up a

new
road bike?

I'm just wondering what the popular consensus is. What about leather in
general?

Anyone?

Anyone - try everyone...

I have them on 4 bikes, all B17 black, on the full suspension mt. bike, the
tourer/commuter, the Heron road - goes everywhere bike and even on the new
Lemond titanium. Seems like a blasphemy to put a 500 gram leather saddle on
a double butted titanium frame, but my butt thinks otherwise.

They are the most comfortable saddle I've used, probably the reason I can
ride +5000 miles this year and 4,000 last year after 2 years of prostate
inflammations that was certainly cycling related. The leather, the width
and the shape does the best job I've found at supporting my ass without
causing pressure in the soft tissue. I've also tried the Terry Liberator,
Terry Fly, Specialized Body Geometry and assorted Flite style, plus assorted
Selle San Marco's, Vetta's, Bontragers, etc... Nothing is as comfortable as
the Brooks, mostly as I rely on the saddle to support me and the shorts to
pad me. Many saddles have too much padding which tends to compress the soft
tissue in the crotch, which you generally don't want.

That said, I did find that my sit bones press down onto the saddle right at
the edge of the seam of the chamois, causing blisters to form, resulting in
a move to XL padded shorts (from L). I also invested in the Carradace
covers for riding on hot/humid days and/or in the rain. A shower cap comes
along with me as well, as the Carradace is not totally water proof. I treat
every 2 mos. or so with Proofide to keep the saddles in shape. And as
others have said, the tilt is important and takes some experimenting. Nose
up higher then usual seems to be the best choice. Having a post that allows
very minute adjustment is important. Also note that they do not slide back
as far as a typical saddle, the result for me is an investment in Easton and
CLB seat posts that have more setback then is typical to get the saddle/seat
tube/reach position back to where it belongs.

Bottom line, if I didn't have to, I wouldn't use one, preferring a lower
maintenance and lighter saddle, and if your butt doesn't need it and is
comfortable on your current saddle, don't change.

Steve B.