Old December 19th 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default No fool like the one-monograph man

On Dec 19, 6:38*am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
"Andre Jute" wrote in message

Every professional writer knows at least one fool who's written some
little monograph and who feels that entitles him to give patronizing
advice to professionals.

On Dec 18, 1:36 am, wrote:
[Jute] writes endless ramblings in huge paragraphs
that defy readers to begin reading... which most don't.

Jobst Brandt

Jobst Brand has written one monograph. It had to be published by his
employer, presumably because no real publisher wanted it, among other
reasons because the perfectly even-length paragraphs marching
mindlessly towards the horizon on rusted railroad tracks, separated by
linespaces (!), would drive readers to suicide.

Both of you are guilty of writing beautiful prose as well as utter
nonsense. The nonsense comes when you're writing *at* someone, and the
beauty when you're freely describing your experiences doing something
you enjoy. But, the good stuff disappears each time someone feels the
need to make sure they got in the last score before the game ends. A
game that won't end, because the players will never actually communicate
with, only at, each other.

There are no zero-sum games around me; I do polemics for a living.
Someone will be burned here, and it won't be me. If you can, keep
Brandt out of my face. This is important to him, not to me; a week
after he crashes and burns I'll have forgotten his name.

It's a waste of talent.

Nah. Dictating a little note to my transcriber for RBT doesn't even
interrupt the work my hands are typing (remarks about varying
paragraph lengths to one of my protege whose book I'm editing!). At
the same time I watch a movie ("Absence of Malice" with Paul Newman,
excellent) and listen to a Bach Cantata ("Num komm, der heiden
Heiland" BWV 61, Ton Koopmsn`) with the electrostat on my other ear;
I'm also discussing what I shall cook tonight with my wife (chestnut
mushrooms and bacon, somehow) and my toes are stroking my cat while I
do press exercises for the small of my back against the lumbar support
of my chair (of my own design and earning nice royalties, thank you
very much). No wasted talent, no wasted motion.

Unless Brandt is a polymath too, he's the only one wasting time
slinging mud at me.

--Mike-- * * Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Blessed be the peacemaker. Pity about Brandt insisting so hard on
being a bully. He probably knows stuff about bikes that I might like
to know. But he just isn't worth the continual aggravation be puts
out.

Andre Jute
Sauvitor in modo, fortiter in res