Old February 2nd 09, 05:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
OldRoads OldRoads is offline
Banned

Default How come bicycle clothing looks so silly?

On Jan 25, 5:34*pm, "ATP*" wrote:
"Lou Holtman" wrote in message

Frank Krygowski schreef:
Frank Krygowski schreef:
On Jan 25, 7:32 am, Lou Holtman wrote:
Clive George schreef:

"terryc" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 17:53:04 -0800, Frank Krygowski wrote:
But I agree that riders may want different choices. *Maybe the
ultimate is a custom bike with all accessories you want designed and
built as a system... for those who can afford such a thing.
Different people, = different touring = different bicycles.
The Q is "Is there enough people who want a particular combo to
justify it
being prebuilt"?
I'd suggest that if it was, then it would have been already done.
And it has - just in places where cyling for transport is the norm, not
the
exception.
Indeed. As a Dutchman I scratch my head everytime when I see what is
considered a commuter bike in the US.

But aren't some of the differences explained by the Netherlands' dead
flat terrain and much shorter commuting distances?

My commuter, modified and used for 30+ years, works very well for my 7
mile (each way) ride with the long climb out of the valley. *I
wouldn't want to haul a standard Dutch bike up that hill, nor ride at
the slow speed such a bike promotes.

- Frank Krygowski

Frank, I'm not talking about a city bike. A 7 mile commute is even in the
Netherlands very common. I live close to my work and I have to ride 10 km
one way. Yes it's dead flat out here but most commuter bikes have 3x9
gears (I don't know why but still) or a 8 speed gearhub, but they also
have standard fenders, full light system, luggage rack, chaincase,
kickstand, pump, saddlebag etc. People would not accept a bike with less.

It's just vanity here in the US. How much does a kickstand really slow you
down? Fenders are also practical but most riders want to get as far away as
possible from anything that looks like an old fuddy-duddy bike.- Hide quoted text -

I have a used bike shop in Cambridge, MA and almost all of the bikes
already have kickstands, fenders and some kind of rack or basket.
People like to buy them that way - a bike, ready for a coummute.
On the clothing topic. Somebody tell me why some people wear biking
shorts to a bike show even though they drove there?

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
http://OldRoads.com