Old September 6th 03, 05:55 PM
Claire Petersky

Default bicycle meditation ride through Cascade Bicycle Club

Chuck Anderson wrote in message news:6Y56b.369246$uu5.71028@sccrnsc04...
Claire Petersky wrote:

Please join me on this ride:

http://www.cascade.org/EandR/Activit...m?eventID=1544

Hi Claire. Is this a typo? (from the site - Ride Detail):

"Distance: +/- 10 mi."

Sounds like a *very* ethereal ride.

I put down really low miles so that people get the idea, if you come,
this is more of a class than a ride. The point is to learn how to
coordinate your mind and body while riding in perhaps an unfamiliar
way. At the same time, this is not a class in the sense that I lecture
and everyone else listens. I personally am an experiential learner,
and that's how this is going to be taught, too. My feeling is that you
need to have your bike with you, and you need to be working out the
techniques as soon as they were talked about and demonstrated.

There have been times when I am particularly focused on
mind/breathing/pedaling in such a way that I am going literally at
half the pace that is my usual. The point in these cases, obviously,
is not to cover ground, build up a sweat, or get to some place in a
particularly speedy fashion. Sometimes you just have to go slow and
build a skill before you can pick it up.

It's really like doing a walking meditation. I have done walking
meditations where the idea is to get the chi flowing and you are
really hauling butt. But more typically, especially for beginners, the
point is to slow everything down so that you really feel your body
balancing as you shift your weight from one leg to the other, really
feel the pressure on your foot as it presses against the ground, and
so on.

I hope this makes sense. This the first time I'm trying to teach this
stuff IRL, so I do really appreciate suggestions and comments before I
trot it out to the masses.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky )

Home of the meditative cyclist:

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky