Old September 12th 03, 12:53 AM
Claire Petersky

Default bicycle meditation ride through Cascade Bicycle Club

"Donny Harder Jr." wrote in message .. .
I would imagine a fair number of people would be interested.

We'll see. I have no sense of it. Cascade was at least willing to put
it up on their daily rides sheet, but I haven't heard anyone say
they're coming.

Are you
planning to roll out, maybe a "training program" so others can
participate? Maybe something to think about as you develop this first
ride.

If I have sufficient interest, I'd do this as a monthly ride. I'm
already beginning to regret the location, although the trail has the
advantage of being easy to ride and everyone knows it.

Here's the plan:

Get a sense of people's bicycling and meditation experience. Do some
coordinated stretching/breathing exercises, maybe as structured as sun
salutations, maybe not. Talk about intentions and how to set them.
Introduce the idea of using pedalling or breathing as a focus for the
mind. Ride a little. Get everyone's feedback, and ride a little more.

If people have this down, then the next step is to talk a little about
the music in your brain when you ride. We'd then do a little very
basic chanting. I realize using your voice in this culture is scary as
all hell, so I'll have to do some to establish trust among the group
and also do this sufficiently off of the trail such that people are
willing to do it with sufficient kavanah. After that, we all get on
our bikes and ride a little. Get feedback, answer questions, ride a
little more.

Final segment, if we have time, talk about making blessings, only on
the very basic level. Ride a little, talk a little about the
experience, answer questions, and get on the bike, and ride a little
more.

Anyone who is speedy can do breathing/stretching/meditation work while
waiting for the others to catch up to each rendezvous point.

We may not get through all of this -- I'm not planning to spend more
than two hours on it. If all we do is part one, and the other sections
happen another day, that's fine with me.

The next question is -- hot lunch afterwards where? It's pouring rain
right now, so the idea of Pho sounds appealing.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky )
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky