Old May 13th 19, 11:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Wheel/Spoke Magnets

On Mon, 13 May 2019 20:52:15 +0200, Tosspot
wrote:

On 13/05/2019 02:37, sms wrote:
On 5/12/2019 4:26 PM, Mark J. wrote:
On 5/12/2019 6:27 AM, sms wrote:
On 5/12/2019 1:29 AM, Tosspot wrote:
Anyone know of some 'decent' ones. The Sigma supplied ones
won't attract a whore in a crack house. The Bosch type ones
always seem to corrode and fall off, and on top of that are
easy to X-Thread. The Cat-Eye ones don't seem to stay put[1].
The Echowell/Yamaha ones seem pretty decent but are like
rocking horse **** this side of the pond. Any other ideas?

[1] Yes, it is getting OCD!

When I lost the cadence magnet on my crank I used a hard-drive
magnet, i.e. https://www.ebay.com/itm/173209158372 but I got
some used ones from someone I knew at a disk drive company. I
heat shrinked it over the crank. I guess for a wheel magnet you
could use some cable ties or some baling wire and attach one of
these to the spokes. The pick-up doesn't have to be so close to
the magnet when you use a disk drive magnet.

If heat shrink is too much trouble, the ?vinyl? stretchy plastic
electrical tape works pretty well also, I've done this for cadence
magnets. The tape may start to peel and degenerate into a sticky
mess, but if caught/redone in time, the mess is quite
containable.

I SPIT on electrical tape.

This is the stuff you want if you desire it stays put.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-amalgamating_tape

That seems to be the original name for it as I now find it in Home Pro
(which I believe should be named Home Amateur) marked "Splicing Tape".

I use it mostly for finishing off handle bar tape, but back when I
worked as an electrician it was the first layer in insulating of a
higher voltage - 4160 VAC - splice.
--

Cheers,

John B.