Old July 11th 18, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default drill/tap in frames

On 7/11/2018 10:18 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 21:25:06 -0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

On Mon, 09 Jul 2018 10:55:00 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 16:21:43 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
wrote:

sms wrote:
:On 7/7/2018 7:27 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
: Are there any secrets to drilling holes in
: steel bike frames? I have a couple of discarded
: ones I can test on but I thought I'd
: ask anyway.
:
: Do you use normal power hand tools like
: a drill-screwdriver and/or a drill press (if
: possible with the desired bolt position)?
:
: Do the normal rules apply, e.g. to get
: a threaded hole for an M6, you first drill with
: a 5.0mm drill?
:
: And you can use chainsaw oil, right?

:As Jobst Brandt stated: "I don't know many riders who believe that
:drilling a hole in a frame tube is a reasonable concept."

Who cares what riders think, what do the egineers do?

Jobst Brandt was a mechanical engineer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jobst_Brandt

What's an egineer?

One might comment that a fairly large number of bridges, that
subsequently fell down, were designed by the engineers of the times
:-)

Therefore, anything designed by an engineer will eventually fall
apart. I like the logic.

Few can recognize an
electronic problem or find someone on the design staff to blame. It's
safety through obscurity.

In chip design it's often easy to find who to blame. Actually the same
holds true in much electronic design.