Old July 12th 18, 08:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default drill/tap in frames

On 7/11/2018 8:43 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 17:24:40 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Exactly. Strong enough is strong enough.

OK, so let's pretend that the tube with the Rivnut bent at 10% less
tension. Is that "strong enough"? There's no way to tell without the
original design calculations, or reverse engineering the frame with an
FEA model. Too bad Autodesk killed their online ForceEffect web app.
http://blogs.autodesk.com/inventor/2017/01/17/autodesk-forceeffect-family-retirement/
I think I could have modeled the problem using the program.

It's a bad experiment because it doesn't take into account whether or
not the hole was properly drilled and the Rivnut properly installed. You
also have to do it with the same aluminum tubing used on a bicycle
frame, but even then it isn't accurate because there's no way to factor
in metal fatigue which isn't an issue as much in steel as it is in aluminum.

Remember, just because you can often get away with doing a really stupid
thing, it doesn't mean that you should still do it.