Old August 17th 18, 08:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Flat repair

On Friday, August 17, 2018 at 4:51:56 AM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/16/2018 5:50 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at 12:09:35 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/15/2018 12:39 PM,
wrote:
On Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at 12:26:14 AM UTC-7, news18 wrote:
On 14/08/18 08:48,
wrote:
Obviously you like carrying around two tubes, a patch kit, two CO2 cartridges and a filler and a mini-pump because it seems romantic to you.

Speaking of weight, just how heavier are these tubeless systems compared
to the old tyre and tube system.

You are perfectly free to feel that the same technology used on every other rubber tired vehicle in the world is not suited to bicycles but if you're going to argue, don't use inadequate responses like "lock you in to their products"
or "testing procedures are only for very narrow test conditions.." when this isn't the case at all. It is far easier to test bicycle tire performance than those of a motorcycles.
+++
How many of these "every other rubber tyred vehcicles" are not driven by
an ICE or similar power plant. P.S. you can leave out shopping trolleys.
.

Why are you arguing this? Tubeless tires are missing the weight of a tube. What's more, because the sealant is so reliable you can use lighter racing-style tires rather than armored tires such as the Gatorskins or the others of similar construction. The flat tests I presented earlier was a guy riding Continental 4000's - a racing tire that has minimal rolling resistance in the tests.

People like tubeless for some applications where they make
sense. Other people gave up on them in other applications. I
don't feel strongly either way but they are certainly no
panacea.

Regarding weight, at least for road sizes, you're using a
heavier rim liner and a heavier valve assembly plus 55~60
grams of latex to omit a 60~65 gram tube. There may be a
weight savings but it can't be significant.

People like what they like because they like it. That's
fine, and argument enough. I don't see a compelling reason
to change, certainly not from 300g tubulars. YMMV, and in
your particular case it does.

p.s. I drove a wire-wheeled car, the last 8 years with the
latest hi-zoot Pirellis and matching tubes. Worked fine. Now
that I'm a grownup, I like pressed steel wheels with
tubeless, which are lighter.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Well, I can't argue that people want to ride what they want to ride. I just find it curious that they complain about flats and then won't change over to a tubeless that doesn't get flats.

The way I complain about flats is by saying "I got a flat." After that,
I may say "So I fixed it."

My last flat was on a club ride on our tandem, about two weeks ago.
Someone said "Good thing it was Frank who got the flat. It won't take
him long to fix it."

--
- Frank Krygowski

---

Fixing a flat is a social event in our group ;-)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JVnGFRNXqRX4mxmJ6

Lou