Old April 16th 19, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Some details on rim designs and tubeless

On Thursday, April 11, 2019 at 2:59:49 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 12/4/19 12:47 am, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at 11:22:01 AM UTC-7, Chalo wrote:
I install tires on hookless rims all the time at work. All steel
rims, and some significant fraction of aluminum rims on old 27"
bikes, lack bead hooks. You only have to seat the tire evenly and
pressurize appropriately (usually lower than the tire's rating).
And of course, refrain from using the latest goofy fad of
yogurt-filled tubeless tires.

Those "yogurt filled" tubeless tires sure roll nicely. And I never
worry about flats and so can use good racing tires instead of those
dead feeling Gatorskins.

Putting liquid in your tyres has got to produce more rolling resistance
than a light inner tube.

--
JS

I did the Tierra Bella last Saturday and for the life of me it didn't appear to increase rolling resistance. The oldest guy to pass me was 55 and then he would hang around the rest stops after I left and he would pass me again a couple of miles before the next rest stop.

On the dangerous turns those 80 lb inflation 25 mm tires stuck like glue and I was passing everyone in the turns. Because of all of the rain this year and so little riding, I'm 10 lbs over-weight and the only problem I was having was most of my rides are too short to drink water on and so I don't have the habit. Going to far without water really wears you out.

Anyway - no it doesn't. The rolling resistance of tubeless tires is slightly less than the same tire in a clincher with the latex tubes.