Old July 17th 19, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Weeks

Default Electronic Shifting Replay

On Tuesday, July 16, 2019 at 6:57:46 PM UTC-5, Tom Kunich wrote:

Was it Andre or Joerg that was talking about a 14 speed internally geared rear hub. That would truly be interesting to ride and see how much losses it generated versus our normal chain and derailleurs.

That would be a Rohloff "Speedhub" (https://www.rohloff.de/en/products/speedhub/ )
I think the general consensus is that there's some energy loss compared to a derailleur-based drivetrain because of all the little planetary gears and oil bath. It's a really nice piece of engineering, and in some applications the losses are tolerable.