Old July 18th 19, 04:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Weeks

Default Electronic Shifting Replay

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 9:10:03 AM UTC-5, Andre Jute wrote:

Steve Weeks says
in some applications the losses are tolerable.

I would say in virtually any everyday situation (possibly excluding racing) with the comparative measurement taken further than x miles from base, there are no losses for the Rohloff HGB compared to a derailleur.

The only questions remaining a

Thanks for that very detailed analysis! I was trying to be *extremely* conservative when I made that statement ^^. I am an admirer of the Rohloff though not an owner. I drooled all over a cut-away model of the speedhub at InterBike a couple years ago. The closest I've come to the Speedhub is the Alfine-11 on my folding commuter bike which, though it's clearly not the equivalent of the Rohloff, is a pretty impressive unit. Mine gets an oil change every 700 miles or so and after about 7,000 miles (a mere drop in the bucket, true...) shows no signs of deterioration. My level of performance probably doesn't stress it too much. If I had a Rohloff hub, I'd certainly change the oil on a more regular basis... "Oil is cheaper than metal"!