Old January 19th 20, 05:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Sad helmet incident

On Sat, 18 Jan 2020 21:14:42 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Jan 2020 04:31:17 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Sat, 18 Jan 2020 16:31:33 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
In my never humble opinion, it would not be difficult to redesign the
common "quick release buckle" so that it would release under tension or
possibly when an added release cord and D-ring is pulled.

As well as the harpoon style buckle that requires two fingers to
reelease, there is a press button (tab actually) style of buckle that has
been around as log as the harpoon style. caveat, i usualy only see them
in sewing shops.

I think I know what you mean, but I can't find a photo with Google
Image search. I also seem to recall they only came in a rather large
1" webbing size, not the typical 5/8" helmet chin strap webbing size.
1" webbing is too wide for a chin strap.

In any case, I don't believe a button will work. The button has to be
operated by panicky 4 year old with small fingers and limited finger
grip strength. At that age, the natural inclination is not to push on
things, but rather to grab and pull. That's why I suggested a release
cord and D-ring pull. If the chin strap is strangling you, the
natural inclination is to grab the chin strap and pull. Manipulating
a harpoon or button release is especially difficult because they can't
be seen. I would not expect a panicky 4 year old to be able to do
much more than grab whatever is choking them and pull.

Another problem is that in order to operate a push button (or push
tab), one must push against something solid. In this case, it will be
the soft underside of the chin or possibly the soft neck. It will be
a minor miracle if one could push against much more solid bone, but
there's little of that in the area of the helmet quick release buckle.
Squeezing the quick release between the thumb and index finger will
work for both the harpoon style and the push button style. However, a
4 year old doesn't have much reach or strength to be able to do that
quite yet. That's why they need a parental assistance getting the
helmet on and off.

The Vozz helmet has no chin strap :-)
https://motorbikewriter.com/vozz-hel...no-chin-strap/
--