Old December 1st 08, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin[_2_]

Default Police pick on cyclist

Light of Aria wrote:

"pk" wrote in message
"David Hansen" wrote in message

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/Cyclist-fined-after-three-hours.4747444.jp.

Rough translation:

"the cyclist got lippy and tried to be clever by shining the "light"
in the officer's face" so they nicked him.

pk

That sounds like what may have happened. If you show Police disrespect
they will go to town on you.

Being a sociology lecturer he's the sort of person who might be a bit
bolshie. Catch a pig on the wrong day, and this is what happens. Count
himself lucky he didn't get tasered, clubbed or shot.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5224058.ece

Comrade Smith was talking about issuing the police with 10,000 tasers,
but the Met say they don't want to be routinely armed with them.

Also some people get very nervous near threatening authority types in
peaked caps, as I do, even though they've done nothing wrong. This can
cause normally decent rational people to misbehave in odd and irrational
ways.

In my area cyclists seem to cycle along with no lights, some in Ninja
mode, with impunity. I would sort of appreciate it if the Police beat up
a few cycle nutters here.

The majority round here seem to be lit up and night, although I do agree
that those without any sort of light should be fined.

Wouldn't it be cheaper for everyone if the Police just handed out £10
sets of lights and be done with the problem.

No, because then someone is being rewarded for breaking the law.
What happens is some places is that a cyclist is given a FPN for not
having lights, if the cyclist buys and fits lights within e.g. two
weeks, then the FPN is withdrawn.
I very much like that attitude.