Old January 13th 20, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tanguy Ortolo

Default V-brake shoe question

Sir Ridesalot, 2020-01-13 12:41+0100:
I mount my V-brake shoes so that the pads and the rim have the maximum amount of contact. One thing to watch out for if you do use the shorter washers on the inside of the caliper arm is that the brake doesn't bottom out. That is that the brake lever doesn't hit the handlebar before the most braking occurs.

Sure, I always do that, by adjusting the cable length. Using the shorter
washers on the inside of the caliper arm means a different, lower cable
length than the reverse configuration, that is all.

I just found https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-GN0001-21-ENG.pdf,
which explains on page 116, that the thin or thick washer should be used
in order to have at least 32 mm of cable between both sides of the
brake. My guess is that is simply to avoid compressing the rubber boot.

So, the configuration I use, with the thin washer inside, is correct as
it gives an open cable lenght of 50 mm. The opposite configuration would
give a longer cable length, which would be correct too, but probably
sub-optimal in terms of mechanical advantage.

For what I see, many bikes are assembled with the thick washer inside,
probably because this is always a safe configuration regardless of the
rim and form dimensions.

--
Tanguy