Old January 13th 20, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default and the answer is... Magnets!

On Sunday, January 12, 2020 at 3:28:46 PM UTC-8, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jan 2020 10:31:40 -0800 (PST),
wrote:
On Friday, January 10, 2020 at 10:14:09 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2020/01/06/pat...don-wave-tech/
-- Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/ Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Doesn't it seem sort of silly that you would drill a million holes in
a chainring to make them as light as possible and then stick steel
magnets on them? On 1 x's I suppose the problem is going to be chain
retention what with very wide rear cog ratios nd no front derailleur
to hold them in place. But don't you think a plastic retention cage
would both work better and be lighter?

Or just taller teeth on the chainring.

One of the latest improvements by Shimano on their GPX is some sort of hydraulic damping on their rear derailleur to keep the chain from hopping off under bumps. So this much be more of a problems than I've had. I simply pulled a link out of the chain to pull the chain tighter against the RD spring.