Old January 16th 20, 02:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Looking for images of broken drilled alloy dropbar

On 1/16/2020 4:25 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I've advised people not to drill an alloy handlebar in order to route their brake cables and/or derailleur cables inside the handlebar. I looked on the web for images of broken alloy dropbars that have failed because of being drilled but can't find any. I KNOW I had such images on my other computer that dies. Can anyone here give me links to such images of broken drilled alloy dropbars?

Cheers

Broken handlebars are well documented:
http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/000.html

But although the principle of a hole in a dynamically
stressed tube is clear, I could not find an image. I have
seen home-drilled bars propagate cracks but not actually
fail. That may be a function of low mileage on specialty
bicycles.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/