Old August 14th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default What kind of bike should I get?

Eddie G wrote:
Hi,

I am in the market for a new bike that will be used 98% on the street
and 2% on light trails. The ratio may change. My budget is $200 max.

What kind of bike should I get? Street bike? Hybrid? Are there
street bikes that can be ridden on light trails, or would that be a
hybrid?

A drop bar cycle-cross bike would be excellent for this use, as would a
touring bike. Any road bike that has room for reasonably wide tires
(i.e. 28-mm or more) and is not designed for criterium handling will
work fine on the average hiking trail (when the trail is dry).

Of course, a hybrid bicycle will be fine, but is not as good for longer
distances due to the lack of variety in hand and upper body positions.

What brand should I consider? Are Huffy's still crappy like they were
30 years ago? How about Dynacraft? Or should I stick with
Schwinn,Giant, etc. What bikes are overpriced?

Are Mongoose bikes any good?

You will NOT get a decent bicycle for less than what the lowest price
bicycle is selling for at a real bike shop (or proper store like REI)
[1]. In the long run, the cheaper bicycle will cost more money due to
repairs (that is if you do not give up on cycling because of the poor
fit and quality).

There are good used bikes for less than $200, but getting the right one
is beyond the normal newbie.

[1] Unless you happen to find the same type of bicycle on closeout or
liquidation sale.

“Mary had a little lamb / And when she saw it sicken /
She shipped it off to Packingtown / And now it’s labeled chicken.”