Old August 14th 08, 07:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob

Default What kind of bike should I get?

On Aug 13, 5:27*pm, Eddie G wrote:
Hi,

I am in the market for a new bike that will be used 98% on the street
and 2% on light trails. *The ratio may change. *My budget is $200 max..

What kind of bike should I get? *Street bike? *Hybrid? *Are there
street bikes that can be ridden on light trails, or would that be a
hybrid?

What brand should I consider? *Are Huffy's still crappy like they were
30 years ago? *How about Dynacraft? *Or should I stick with
Schwinn,Giant, etc. *What bikes are overpriced?

Are Mongoose bikes any good?

Thanks!!

Eddie G

How do you define "light trails"? If you mean crushed limestone rails-
to-trails bike paths that get yearly maintenance you can ride just
about any bike on them. As for finding a decent bike for under $200,
you should forget about new bikes and focus on finding a good used
bike. Are there any shops in your area that deal in the used market?
Not many do but if $200 is your max budget, the search is worth the
effort. Even if you don't find a shop that deals in used bikes they
may be able to at least give you an idea of where to look.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

P.S.- Many shops offer some sort of finance plan if that would help.